Monday, November 1, 2010

Vaccine Awareness Week (The Evidence-based Version)

This week has been declared an unofficial Vaccine Awareness Week by anti-vaccination advocates, so a bunch of evidence-based bloggers are writing about vaccines. I guess it's taking them at their word, and working to make the public more aware of the facts about vaccination. Many of these individuals were very helpful to me, getting me out of my fog of irrational fear and putting me back on track.

"It's also important to realize that most parents who buy into anti-vaccine views do so out of ignorance, because they have been misled, rather than due to stupidity." - Orac, Respectful Insolence

"Vaccines stimulate and increase the function of the immune system – that’s how they work. They provoke an immune response. Stimulating the immune system is healthy for the system, which needs exposure to antigens to remain active." - Steven Novella, Neurologica Blog

Vaccine Central, vaccine information by parents, for parents.

A post from last year, by Mark Crislip, on the flu vaccine.

1 comment:

Liz Ditz said...

Hi KittyWhumpus

As I often do I'm compiling a list of all the posts on Vaccine Awareness Week-- you know, the evidence based version.

http://lizditz.typepad.com/i_speak_of_dreams/2010/10/the-big-list-of-reality-based-vaccine-infectious-disease-blogging.html

I've added yours to the list but there are lots more for thinking parents.