Sunday, June 24, 2012

We're Assholes

Last night, our new neighbors had a little get-together. It was just a few people sitting around their picnic table and talking. Thing is, I have not been sleeping well for the past three weeks or so, and I was exhausted last night. To the point where I thought I might really be able to sleep. But their yard abuts ours, and it sounds like they are sitting in our bedroom. I closed the windows and put in earplugs, but then it got stuffy, and I also worried that I would not be able to hear Finn if he woke up, so my rest was fitful. When Pete came home, I thought I could take out the earplugs because they seemed to be a bit quieter. Then they got out the guitar and started singing. Poorly. The earplugs went back in. Pete said he would go over and tell them to keep it down, but that makes me feel shitty, too.

So we did nothing. Turned on the air conditioning even though it was a lovely evening and stewed in our own angry juices.

Then this morning, Pete unloaded the car from last night's gig and encouraged Finn to help and be as loud as possible. He encouraged shrieking and the singing of the "Super Hero Squad" theme song.

Because we're assholes. And clearly, thoroughly Minnesotan.

No comments: