Monday, January 3, 2011

I gambled with the bus stop...

and the bus stop won.

Our commute to and from our metropolitan campus workplace involves our metropolitan transit system, as yet consisting of mostly buses. To get there and back again, we can walk six blocks or take a bus that runs once every half an hour and then catch a bus that goes straight to campus, and then it's the reverse on the way home. You can time the morning to catch the first bus, but the afternoon is harder. In the winter, it's almost impossible, plus, this particular route is hardly ever on time, anyway.

This evening, it's snowing. Again.( I should probably start noting when it is not snowing, instead.) When I arrived at Second Bus Stop, I called the bus line and found that a bus was due in 3 minutes.

I weighed the evidence. It takes anywhere from 9-12 minutes to walk, so usually if the wait is under seven minutes, I go for it. 3 is a no-brainer. But it's snowing, and the buses are often behind when it snows, especially during rush hour in the evening. I was cold and wearing work shoes, so I opted for the wait.

5:18 passed with no bus. At 5:30, with no bus in sight, I started walking. Usually, this is cue for the bus to pass me when I am hopelessly in between stops. This time, the bus passed me going the wrong way, clearly extraordinarily late, and I made it home before the bus was anywhere in sight.

So in a way, in the end, I sort of won.

And right now, that's what I need.

Things I did right today: Made it to work by 8:30. Did the money and the bills. Drank a lot of water. Took myself to lunch.


Things not so much: Had to buy lunch.

No comments: