Friday, May 15, 2009

Relax. It's a Vacation.

Day 1: 356 miles
Day 2: 490 miles
Day 3: 454 miles

I don't have a plan, and it's making me crazy.

I'm sitting in the bedroom while Pete, Finn, Al, and Sue are downstairs. I'm poring over the map and the calendar, trying to fit everything in and get us home so Pete can be at work on the 27th. It's not a lot of time for a trip with wild ambitions. There are a lot of people to see and places to go. It's the kind of trip that is not very relaxing. You have to work at the relaxation. Yesterday, we visited here at Sue's, then visited at Oma and Opa's, then visited at Chris and Kara's. It was all very good, until the last bit, when Finn screamed in his car seat for 45 minutes, and I realized that we need to be in the house where we are going to be sleeping by, say, 7:00. Anything else is just not good for us if it involves more than a couple of miles of travel. He's sick of it, and I don't blame him.

So I am trying to figure it out. If it took us three days to go 1300 miles, do we need three days to go 1100? Probably, but I'd dearly love to pare it down to two.

Nope, I really should not risk it. I should plan for us to leave Pennsylvania on Sunday.

That kind of sucks.

Oh well. When the boy is not mad in his car seat at 9:00 at night (what was I thinking?), he's doing pretty well. It's a lot: new faces, new places, new routine, or lack of one. He seems to be handling it OK until he reaches evening time, which is normal.

He's all set here at Sue's with a crib and some of Pete's old things, as well as toys. He does not sleep in cribs, but they can be fun.

No comments: