Saturday, October 25, 2008

day/off

The best episode on America's Next Top Model is number three or four. It's the makeover show, where Tyra gives all the girls new looks. There's a lot of crying and a few hissy fits, and it's awesome.

Last Saturday, I took a break. I scheduled a hair appointment with my favorite (and only) guy, and I stole away. I could not take the shedding anymore. I spent a couple of weeks going over my decision because it's kind of a big deal. I did not know if I would have a sniffly reaction to my hair being chopped off or not, but I have had it long for years. It's been 12 since it was any shorter than my collarbone, and for the majority of the last 20, it's just been long. I do not want to be one of those moms who goes and gets a short soccer mom haircut once she has a kid and then ceases to be relevant to anything hip or interesting. It's bad enough that I don't understand the music these kids are listening to today.

You can get emotionally attached to something like your hair. It can start to define who you are. I was wondering if that had happened to me. Could I change? Would it be hard?



I had Pete take pictures before I left, and when I looked at the one from the back, I was shocked. I had no idea how long it actually was. I balked. "Do I really want to do this?" I asked Pete. He sighed. "Yes, honey. You do. It will be OK."

That was my only moment of pause.

"We're cutting it off," I told Jonny.

"Sweet."

We looked at haircolors and discussed the pictures I brought along, then he put it in a ponytail.

"OK, are you ready?" he said, wielding the scissors.

"Yup," I said. Absolutely.

It was no problem--I did not even flinch. It was just time. It's short; it's sassy; it's fabulous; I love it. No more ponytails, no more headaches, no more painful scalp. I am still shedding, but now those hairs are not a foot and a half long. It's easier to take care of, it's almost automatically cute. Now I have to figure out where or if I should donate that ponytail. A lot of the donated hair goes into the trash, or they sell it to make money for the charity. In that case, I could sell it myself and donate the cash to Childrens' Hospitals.

I love it. La la love it.

5 comments:

susan smith said...

I love it too and wish I was there to give you more days off!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!! Little Delaney sent hers (she did it to help Reagan and her friend with Neuroblastoma) to Locks of Love. They make wigs for little kids with cancer and alapecia.....
You are still cool....and I don't think you will fall into the "soccer mom" status quo....

meg and greg said...

As a very reluctant soccer mom, I think it looks great too! You are very brave to take the leap "so soon" after birth. I think it took me six months or more to give into the inevitable chopping when my first was born. But, I went all the way and ended up with the Demi Moore, "Ghost" look.(Only with blond weave.) It made life sooo much easier though.
Since then, it has regrown and been chopped numerous times. So if you don't like it...try again. Variety is the spice of life...or is it cumin? Either way, it looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

i say the next stop...sinead o'connor town..maybe with some safety pins on the nose!!

no mistake'n "soccer mom" with that

Mattress~

vix said...

It suits you SO MUCH.