Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Advocacy: The Six Month Check-up

* 5/18/2010: Please note that this post was written during my Great Vaccination Fugue, from which I have recovered. Finn will be getting the CDC recommended vaccination schedule from now on.

I am finding out, or continuing to discover, that experts are not going to tell you what to do. You have to ask; you have to do your own research and reading; and you have to check and double check. It's fine with me, but I admit that it is a little surprising. After all, why do we consult experts? Because we expect them to have knowledge that we don't and to disperse that knowledge in a timely manner.

Finn had his six-month check up today. His pediatrician is still very pleased with him, but much like a dental hygienist asking about flossing behavior, when she asked about his tummy time skills, I had to admit to not doing it enough. He hates it. But it's important for his gross motor development, so I'll do it. He'll get used to it. I am to give him 3-4 minutes of tummy time 6-8 times a day. But she says he is very strong, and is quite exceptional. Rationally, I know that she probably compliments all babies, but I have to agree with her. Considering his gestational age at birth, he is, indeed, exceptional.


Today, he is 12 pounds, 13 ounces, 23.75 inches (almost two feet tall!), and his head is 16 inches in circumference. He's approaching the curves on all the charts, and he's right on with his weight to height ratio. He flashed her some nice little smiles and sat and looked around like a good little boy.

He was supposed to have his DTaP booster today, but this is where the advocacy comes in. When he was in the hospital, we agonized over the vaccination issue, finally consenting to the DTaP shot for the whooping cough protection but opting out of the rest of the cocktail until a later date. However, we requested the Daptacel, a brand that contains less aluminum. At the pediatrician, they did not check or ask, but I did. Had I not, they would have given him a different medication. As it stands now, I put them in a quandary because they do not have the medication we require and will have to special order it, and they are not entirely sure they can. If they can't, they are not sure what we are to do. That's helpful.

Also, I had to ask about solid food, she did not bring it up. I was not sure whether or not he is supposed to start solids at six months chronological or adjusted. Turns out, this is one thing that she wants started at his chronological age. Had I not asked, she would not have said anything.

I again find myself at odds with the medical establishment. I don't think he's ready. I think he's getting there, but he's not there yet. He is starting to drool and chew, so the teething process has started. As for what he will start to eat, his doctor recommends iron fortified baby cereal mixed with vitamin C fortified baby juice. Yum. How did we ever survive before factory food production? We survived because our food was not so depleted by over processing. The obsession with iron fortification is especially interesting to me, and when it comes to iron supplements and preemies, they have made me almost paranoid about it.


I don't think it's necessary or even beneficial to always start babies on grains, which is what everyone in America seems to do. At the very least, he will be getting whole foods prepared at home, so I have some research and reading to do on that subject. I have a couple of books specifically about whole foods and making baby food, and I have a few other resources to consult. This will be a very good thing in the long run because it will help me to refine my eating habits, as it will be easier and healthier for me to adapt to his needs.

I am looking for things for us to do together during the day. We have done some infant massage, but I need to get back into that routine. He has enjoyed the parts we have done, and I imagine with his growing desire to be involved, he will continue to have fun with it. Plus, I just bought a mom and baby yoga book, which will hopefully prove interesting and beneficial for both of us.

1 comment:

susan smith said...

Yippee! I am so happy to read this posting! You are doing absolutely the right thing by asking all those questions to Finn's doc, because you HAVE to! The medical pros are under great pressure and forget things. This is also true of your adult docs so ask away.
Also, if you feel he is not quite ready for solid food you are RIGHT! Mothers' intuitions are always right darn it! So when you think he is ready do your research on baby foods you can make--plus there are good organic baby things available as you probably know. When I started Pete on baby food, It had to be quite thinned down with water and/or breast milk--organic baby cereal even. So congrats on being the best of parents and sending all my love.