Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Did you know that...

Russia is the world's top crude oil producer?
Seven mountain gorillas were murdered in 2007 in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in what turned out to be a political move to entrap a rival?
The country of Bhutan only got television in 1999?
Whales and antelopes are closely related?
Orcas will attack great white sharks and live as long as humans?

Well, I didn't, and these and a host of other interesting facts have been revealed to me through the magic of breast pumping.

ok, not really.

Pete's mom was here for the holiday weekend, so I moved my expression area into the bedroom. I am sure that I will have no problem whipping the girls out in public when there is an actual baby involved, but for the breast pumping? Not so much. It's a bit comic, and very exposed. While I have had to pump a couple of times when girlfriends or my mom was around, if I can avoid it, I will. I discovered that the bedroom is a very nice place to express. It was easier to read because I could put a magazine on a pillow and only have to let go long enough to turn a page.

When I spied the stack of National Geographics that have been mocking me for the past year from their perch in the hallway rack. Many American households have a library of these magazines, and I suspect that most of them go unread. It's like a little badge of smartness. We believe that when guests see those yellow spines on the book shelf, they will consider us erudite and cultured. In reality, they are probably thinking what I think when the tables are turned: "Ah yes, something more for your kids to clean out after you die."

Five and a half volumes later, I can't imagine reading anything else while I pump, though I only have six back issues left. If I were still pregnant, I would think that the fetus was getting smarter right along with me. Smarter and more interesting. As it is, I don't think that I am transmitting brainy trivia molecules into Finn's little brain through my breast milk. He'll have to wait for me to bore him with minor facts when he's older.


And bigger. This morning, he was 3.6 pounds. He's still on the high-flow, but he's down from 4 liters to 2.5. He gets 30 milliliters of food every three hours, and he's no longer on scheduled suppositories, which is always nice. Pete got to change a gigantic poop this morning, something we are still happy to do. Last night, he was desat-ing during cuddle time, and the nurse on duty seemed to have a laissez faire approach to the alarms, so we put him back early. I was getting mad, and it was not relaxing at all. I hear those alarms in my head when I am not anywhere near the hospital, and I prefer it when the nurses give him a little O2 bump while we are cuddling to hopefully help bring him out of it.

No comments: