Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Three Rides for a Dollar

I have never been one for amusement or theme parks. I rode my first rollercoaster at 26 years old, and I am not sure why I even bothered then. It was probably peer pressure. I am not big into thrill seeking or risk taking, and I don't care for wasting money. It should not be surprising that I am not into Las Vegas, either.

It should be surprising that I am any fun whatsoever.

Amusement parks are not amusing to me, by definition:

1 : a means of amusing or entertaining amusements
2 : the condition of being amused amusement
3 : pleasurable diversion : entertainment amusement

Amusement parks could be renamed Tedium Parks or Trepidation Parks in my world. There's just not much for me to do except people watch, and then all I can think is "the herd is unhealthy." It would figure that my little man is a thrill seeker, and he's already into shocking and worrying his parents. We had become too used to arriving at the hospital and getting glowing reports from his nurses. He's been a little overachiever. I was not expecting to get to his bedside this morning and hear "He's been good for me, but he had sort of a rough night" in answer to my usual "How's he doing?" question.

Overnight, he had 11 spells. That's more than he usually has in the course of a couple of days. For two of the spells, he needed a lot of work to get him to come around. I am guessing that he had to be bagged. I did not ask. I looked down at our sleeping little baby and had that choking, desperate feeling that accompanies an all-encompassing fear of loss. I did not want to start crying at his bedside because I don't like to do such things in public, and I was afraid that if I started right then, I might not be able to stop.

He's back on the high flow, back up to 2 liters, and 30%. They checked for infection and found no signs, and his blood test was good as well.

Suddenly, after Pete had a great cuddle last night, with no spells and barely a de-sat, it's like two weeks ago.
It's the proverbial step back that parents of preemies have to get used to, and that we have to expect. I know that I had finally settled into a comfortable space, at least in my head, if not in my schedule, and this was a big, fat reminder that he's a teeny tiny baby with immature systems who still has a long way to go.

We thought it could be his red blood cell level, and that he might need another transfusion, but when the doctor called Pete later in the morning, she said that she thought his level was fine, even good, and that she did not want to go the transfusion route. When they get too many transfusions, their bodies don't think that they need to make their own red blood cells, and it's hard to oxygenate when you don't have enough of those snazzy little things. The doctor also said, as Pete was reminding me in the parking lot, that he's acting like a preemie; they do these sorts of things. We thought he might have to go back on the ventilator; we thought he might have to go back on C-PAP; we thought he might have to have another transfusion. What we need to remember is that we don't really know what will happen. This is something that I was concentrating on throughout my pregnancy: trying to be as pragmatic as possible. That was relatively easy during the pregnant part (relatively), but it's much more difficult when faced with sweet little actual baby.

We had our morning visit with him, during which he had a spell, and we talked to him for a little while. I made it to the car, and Pete talked me down. I made it to work, and have made it through the day, which means I should be fine for now. Our Little Man weighed 1410 grams this morning (3.109 pounds), and he seems to recognize our voices, but it's hard to tell. Of course, we like to think he does.

I think that this whole experience will be enough amusement for me until Finn wants to go on the rides.

6 comments:

susan smith said...

Oh dear, my stomach is woozy! I will do the crying for you guys. The premies do have incidents and setbacks, but for the family this is HARD! Love to you three from us. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

I check every couple of days with my heart in my throat. It is so good to read the good reports, and also really cheering to read the less good reports because he's moving forward, you're armed with good information, you have a huge support group (albeit quite virtual) and your humanity and honesty are just validating in general. This is a tough road, but you're walking it with a tremendous amount of grace and self-awareness and I'm grateful that we get to come with you, to support you in the small gestures, and to see that he is getting great medical care.

It worries me that you're working, because I'm not used to the US-style maternity leave situations. I hope that it is giving you what you need, not just monetarily. Having just said that, I worked through my maternity leaves with my boys, because I'm self-employed. But the schedule was very loose.

Anyway! Go Finn! :) Here's to 10 more weeks and at least 5 more pounds. :)

Anonymous said...

He seems to be gaining weight like a champ though!

My husband was a preemie, heck, he's the reason his parents live in the little-no-name-town that when we travel everyone knows or has some connection to; all because he came so much earlier than expected while they were traveling to see the in-laws up north and because of the hospital stay and bills, my FIL had to get a job toot sweet. He's just retired, but it was a great career, my husband had a great childhood and is an incredibly sexy and active man--in college he rock climbed and played hockey like a fiend, he was all muscle and sensitive reader love when I met him.

So, I just bring this up to say, as scary as today and these setbacks might be and the difficulties you face with all of these issues involved in a premature birth, you've got a much scarier future ahead: a daughter-in-law like me. ;) (Or a son-in-law; Finn, we ain't gonna judge you, whoever you choose to grow up and love.;p)

In all seriousness though, thank you guys for sharing your experience. I haven't commented before because, well, frankly I haven't known what to say. Someday my big grown up preemie and I plan on having kid of our own, and I hope I get to read to the end of the book on my own and at a leisurely pace. But it's nice to know the world won't end if we get an early surprise.

Anonymous said...

um, what zerocattle said in the first paragraph.

I'm sure you're busy as heck, so I'll just let you know I've almost got enough squares for the first little blanket, and I'm aware of several more in the mail.

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine the highs and lows - we're continuously pulling for Finn, you, Pete, and all of the extended family who are here cheering you on.

From all reports, it looks like little Finn is a mighty fighter, and his spells are an indicator that he's working to get himself out of that ICU as soon as he can. Know that we're with you in spirit, and that we'll be happy to play "Gonna Fly Now" or "Eye of Tiger" for him over the phone if you think it'll help. Love you guys!!!

Fucksoft said...

"Uncover the transformative power of seeking repentance (Toba) in Islam! Click the link to explore the importance and virtues of repentance, and learn how it can bring immense blessings and closeness to the Divine https://youtu.be/I8yZShXENWc?si=MQPZW1yW1U_-M_Fh