Monday, June 30, 2008

30

When we are 29, we dread turning 30. Well, most of us do. I welcomed it. I was sick of being 29, and I was ready to be out of the whole decade of the 20's, during which I made poor decisions and did not further my emotional health, career, or financial well being. I guess I thought that rounding the 30 corner would make me a grown up...

Here's hoping for the 40 corner!

Our baby just turned 30 (gestational age), which is even more welcome to me. He's still ten weeks away from the magical "40," but he's inching (and ouncing) forward. The book says that he weighs about three pounds, which is about right. He was 1345 grams on Friday, which translates to 2.965 pounds. Supposedly, were he "inside," he would gain around half a pound a week until week 37. It will be interesting to watch the board to see what happens. He lost 15 grams (.03 pounds) from Saturday through Sunday, but his weekend nurse, Michelle, expected that he would gain that back overnight. I could not go this morning to see him because I needed to be at work early, and Pete did not check the board to see what his weight was, so I can't report on that.

This is a great sentence for the parents of preemies: "Your baby may practice breathing by moving his or her diaphragm in a repeating rhythm." It's true! He's practicing, which is why he still has A&B spells and de-sats. I'm getting better about it; I am not panicky, I just don't like to see him struggling or in any distress whatsoever.

He looks pretty chill here, though... I don' think that turning 30 bothered him in the least...

1 comment:

susan smith said...

What a big boy! Keep plugging Finn--you'll be home in no time! Mom and Dad can;t wait--me either! Grammasue