Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Doctor's Update, Tuesday June 3rd

Pete here, chiming in.

We just got a call from Dr. Hustead - Finn's main Neonatologist at the moment - and she said he's doing very well. He's off the photothrapy for a while - but may need to go back on it from time to time. He's off the antibiotics, too. Apparently he pooped and his tummy is doing better so they're going to start him on the breast milk again today. His weight has remained constant and hopefully with the feeding he'll start to gain weight. He's also been off of the CPAC and on a kinder, gentler breathing apparatus for one hour out of every four, and he's taken to it well, so now they're going to allow him 2 hours out of every 4 or so to get him breathing more and more on his own. This is good, as I think that CPAC unit is really uncomfortable for him. It's big and bulky, and the air pressure is nearly high enough to fill up my bike tires... but it's better than the ventilator.

So - today's report is really good. Finn is hanging in as strong as could be imagined - and everyone at the NICU seems really pleased with his progress. We can't be happier for him.

On the home front, Karen has been pumping like a champ, and Finn has plenty of breast milk to get him started on the good food he needs to gain weight. I've been trying to be as supportive as possible and making her as comfortable as possible in order to give good yields. This morning the yield was less than it has been, but I imagine it goes in cycles as well.

The feeling of helplessness is constant, and yet there are so many positive things that are happening that it's not too hard to remind myself that feeling helpless simply isn't worth the energy drain. For the most part my mood has been good and I'm remaining upbeat as his reports just keep coming in so strongly... but I have a little emotional breakdown at least once a day - like a little steam release where the worry that I'm bottling up in it's own little psychic tupperware needs to be released. Then I'm fine again, and able to help my sweet honey baby do what she needs to do and relax into that little machine pumping breast milk.

Happy Anniversary my love! You are the best thing that ever happened to me - and marrying you was the best decision I ever made. Now I have a new love, and a new "best thing" - but Finn will share that distinction with you I'm sure without any argument. Thanks for the anniversary present... What an amazing ride! Thanks to everyone for all your support as well. Stay tuned for more from FINN-LAND!! (yeesh... bad pun)

A little fun reading... http://allaboutirish.com/library/tales/gcauseway.shtm

No comments: