Friday, June 27, 2008

Geeks

What magic power would you like to have, if you were given the choice? I am, of course, thinking about powers from the Harry Potter stories. My first choice has always been apparition, but lately, "Accio" has been gaining a glossy sheen due to the fact that I am so often sitting in one place with both my hands occupied by the breast pump and its apparatus. I could easily free one hand to use my wand to summon a book or other useful object. But it seems that no matter how hard I concentrate, I can't get the warm washcloth to fly from the kitchen to the couch.

The harried lives of hapless muggles.

I think about these sorts of things a lot, and many of my references are pretty dorky. During our hospital stay, whenever we went through the tunnel from Abbott to Children's, the Lord of the Rings references were plentiful. The doors that open automatically reminded us of opening the gates to Moria, and more than once, the word "Mellon" was uttered in their presence. The word "tunnel" was said in Gollum's voice.

Really, we're just geeks in grown-ups' clothing, and this child has years ahead of him, feeling embarrassed by his juvenile parents. His mother will quote lines from "Friends" at seemingly inappropriate moments, his father will say "What's taters, precious" while cooking in the kitchen.

There will be much eye-rolling in the McCauley household.

Even the presence of the onesie and the huge giant shirt have me in mind of house elves, and I can't stop thinking about Dobby saying "Master has given a sock" and thinking that clothes are a rite of passage for our little schnooks, too. Clothes make him look like a real baby and add another level of humanity to him.

He's still not as big as a house elf, but he's gaining. He was 2.877 pounds this morning (1305 grams), and that's so very close to three whole pounds!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to see clothing! Whoo!

He's looking like he's gaining some fat, too, which is really good to see. I'm glad you keep posting more and more photos and your journey (and Finn's) -- I keep cheering for him, and for you and your husband.

susan smith said...

Oh-h-h so cute--he is adorable. I love you baby boy (and your mom and dad too)! Jane and Al loved this picture too. Grammasue

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness he's getting so big!!! An absolute cutie.

And don't worry, if little Finn is anything like my kiddos, he'll get into the geekery and good and you'll all have tons of silly inside jokes.

C K McCauley said...

Thanks Finn, you've taught us so much about the nature of weight gain! It's directly related to a routine of food-cuddle-sleep-food-cuddle-poop-food-cuddle-sleep...
Well I guess you learn something every day (with any luck). Happy One Month Birthday!!! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Eye rolling is a very real problem in all McCauley households...I still roll my eye's when my father does something ridiculously inappropriate (like introduce himself as the Governor of the Commonwealth to a public official)...My children are regularly subjected to AC/DC as well as Journey's greatest hits...Why should Finn have it any easier??? For goodness sake the child is named after a somewhat mythical character... although there are those of us who BELIEVE!! Ok, just don't make him such a nerd that he starts talking about medical research with his preschool chums....they won't get it...ask poor Delaney...Ce la vie...He is perfect...and so are his parents....the rest of the fam (dads side) is a bit dysfuntional and will embaress him at weddings and the such, but hey we lived!!

Lots of love and keep growing FINN!!