Thursday, June 26, 2008

Express Yourself!

Now that I have (hopefully) put that song into your head for the remainder of the day, I ask you: how expressive does this make you feel?


Maybe it's meant to be a blank canvas that spurs the user to new heights of light and color, but I don't picture Chagall being all that inspired by these surroundings.

I just returned from my first expression at the "Expression Connection" room here at my work (yes, that's the Sesame Street name for the program). The room will be called The Bunker from here on. I am not really complaining; at least I have a place to pump close enough to my work to make it relatively convenient, and once I get a routine down (and remember all the stuff I need), it will be fine. I am simply observing and relating my impressions.

I figure I will only need to use The Bunker once or twice a day, for twenty minutes, and my other four to six "expressions" will be conducted in the comfort of my home. Tomorrow, I will try to get all the things I need together. I have access to two different kinds of pumps from the same maker. One style is at home and at the hospital, and the other is here at work. One uses membranes and hoses; one uses a piston and hoses. Invariably, when I head to the hospital with the intention to pump while I am there, I forget the membranes and hoses. Yesterday, when I came to work with the intention to pump, I brought the membranes (which are unnecessary) and hoses, but forgot the pistons. Today, I remembered both the membranes (still unnecessary) and pistons but forgot storage bottles or caps for the pump bottles. I also did not bring the little cooler. The milk will be fine until I get home--the cooler would only be a place to put the milk so that co-workers don't have to look at little bottles of breastmilk kicking back in the communal fridge.

Tomorrow, I am putting the diaper bag that I knitted into early service to carry my parts back and forth (you can't leave them in The Bunker), and I figure I will throw them into a plastic bag for washing and transit. The yellow basin is too cumbersome. The Bunker is only two buildings away, but that's far enough to not want to carry all my gear in plain view. Once I get a chance to pick up an extra set of hoses, breastshields, connectors, and valves, I'll leave it here, as well as a stock of storage bottles and labels, so I don't have to transport anything but the milk and cooler. And I don't have to forget essential items.

At some point, I am sure that The Bunker will lead me to create something very similar to this:

2 comments:

susan smith said...

Whew--that's a lot of stuff to worry about. But as Pete said in one of the early pictures of the nicu, McCauley's like gear! So you fit right in. I hope you hurry with that painting so we can all be rich!

Anonymous said...

i think the room needs to have 8 scantley clad back-up dancers...a huge print of the Metropolis movie painted on the walls...and you need yer hair bound up tight in a pony whip and monocle dangle'n around yer neck...and then i think yer bunker will be transformed into the perfect "express yerself" room...just a thought :)

Mattress~