Sunday, June 15, 2008

Cuddle Time

They call it "Kangaroo Care" or "Skin-to-skin care," as I mentioned, and I call it "holding our baby." Pete calls it "cuddle time," which sounds nice. Whatever you want to call it, Finn and I had a really good session last night. I had him for almost two hours, and he did really well. I was the one who had to end it because I was getting tired, it was time to pump, and I had started to get a little nervous. He was fussing here and there, probably because of gas, possibly he was just fussing in his sleep, but after our attempt at cuddletime on Friday evening, I was a bit on edge if he seemed distressed at all. Not too long into our time on Friday, he had a total spell where his heart rate dropped substantially, and he stopped breathing. You only really need to see your baby turn grey once. The nurse got him going again, and we put him back inside his third womb, but it left me just a little bit worried. I know that it's what preemies do, and that they expect him to have apnea, but it was not a pleasant sight.

Last night, however, he was comfy, snuggling, warm, and best of all, breathing. He only had one small drop in his O2 concentration, and it did not last long. Pete read "Goodnight Moon" and a little bit of "Return of the King" to him and sang him a made-up Finn Song, and I talked to him some. Pete is better at vocalizing for the child. I feel a little self conscious about it, for some reason. He'll have no trouble recognizing Pete's voice; I'll have to rely more on boob-bonding, eventually. At one point, Finn managed to wrangle my thumb up to his mouth and was smacking away at the pad. He has no trouble sucking on his pacifier, too; he can really get that thing going. I hope that, when we get to that point, he gets the hang of the real thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely Madonna and child photos, (and I mean that as a compliment).