Friday, June 20, 2008

To be grateful...

I often feel a sense of hopelessness for the human race. That might be because I listen to the news too much while I am in the car (Minnesota Public Radio rocks).

But Pete and I have a lot to be thankful for. We don't have to look very far to realize this. We know it when we are in the NICU, and we see our son doing so well, so far. I thought about it yesterday when I parked my car a block away from where a young man was murdered two nights before, not far from my workplace. I think about it when we drive to the hospital through a neighborhood that is doing its best to pick itself up from economic disenfranchisement and crime. We are fortunate people.

Our friends and family have sent lovely cards and gifts, welcoming our early little man to the fold. People have called and written to offer their help and good wishes, and everyone has been so kind. Both Pete and I work in supportive and positive environments that have been nothing but understanding. There is even a group of knitters from my Atheist and Agnostic Crafters Group on ravelry.com who are knitting Finn blankets as I type.  I was absolutely bowled over to log on after I got home from the hospital to find my moniker (kittywhumpus) in a subject line on the message board, and to see that they were getting projects together for our boy. One of the women in the group is even a mom of a preemie herself!

Amazing.

The nurses and doctors at the NICU are also great. Finn has a couple of primary nurses who we see often, and Jen, who is with him the most, made him a sweet little collage on his "one week birthday."
All this to say that scheduling problems and all other frustrations aside, we are doing all right. Things will get to us from time to time, and I am sure that they will almost all wind up here, aired in public for all to see, but underlying it all, I know that we have a lot to be grateful for.

No comments: