Saturday, June 14, 2008

fingers and toes

Scale is an important concept. My father is a geologist, and when my brother and I were small, we were often used as scale in front of road cuttings or geological formations that were too large to incorporate the hand lens or the lens cap. In this case, I have to use a quarter to illustrate the size of our son.



I don't know about you, but I am not so good with anticipating size when it comes to pounds and ounces. When the doctor told me that it looked like the baby would be about two pounds from the measurements in the ultrasound, I envisioned something unbelievably small. Babies are 7-8 pounds, and two just seemed impossible. I was surprised at the size of what came out of me. And though I am used to his size, and I understand that he is small, I am still surprised at how big he actually is.



So far, it appears that he has inherited my hands and feet, which are both big. Pete says it is good. I think his first thought on that is the future ability to play stringed instruments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GP McCauley says, "Why does this child appear to have two right feet? Please correct this immediately as the bicycle I just bought (for alot of money I might add, at the TREK store)is designed for a kid with a right foot and a LEFT foot"

susan smith said...

I think its the piano he will go after---when he remembers to put his toys away! grammasue