Monday, June 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Part V: Interior Decorating

Remember when I mentioned that my doctor said "What is that?!" during my second ultrasound?

Yeah.

That was cool.

On Thursday night, I had a visit from a urologist. He appeared in my darkened room while I was dozing off. He explained that he had been referred to me (the doctor had told me he would do this), and wanted to know if I wanted to have the cystoscopy while I was in the hospital or would I rather come back. I decided that I might as well get it over with, so we scheduled me for 11:00 the following morning.

This was a bit terrifying. What if there was something wrong with me? What if it was cancer? What if I needed surgery? What if, what if, what if...? I thought that perhaps Pete and I had plenty on our plate without a sick mommy to add to the mix.

On Friday, they wheeled me down to pre-op, gave me a lovely paper robe that hooked up to a warming air hose, nurse after nurse came to ask me the same questions for their system of checks, and then I waited. Finally, they wheeled me to an operating room through a white fluorescent labyrinth of hallways, and got me onto an operating table. I had not realized that the procedure before the procedure would be so surgical. The doctor had mentioned doing these "in his office all the time." Here I was in a clinical, cold, rather large operating room, trying to relax.

The doctor came in, they got the camera all hooked up, and in it went, through the out door. As unpleasant as I had always assumed it would be to have anything going into one's urethra, after two unanticipated visits to that area by first the catheter and now a camera, I would have to say that it was not as bad as I thought it would be. He looked around in there for a few minutes, said that it all looked good and that he did not see anything, and it was done. He recommended that I have an ultrasound in about two weeks to double check.

I just wish that they would have put the camera view up on a monitor. After all, it's not every day that a person gets to see the inside of his or her own bladder.

Thank goodness.

2 comments:

carrym said...

Yay!!! Glad you got the "all clear". You've had enough shit to deal with lately.

~Tivity

Peanutga11ery1 said...

Honey hang in there, all of us at the A&A board on Ravelry are virtually holding your hand, I have btdt on the pumping, let yourself cry when you can but it will be okay.

*mwah*

peanutga11ery1