Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine!

I wish.

I wish vitamins tasted like Ovaltine.

Do you remember when I was complaining about prenatal vitamins? I am sure that it was more than once.

I ordered a liquid supplement and was trying to fill in the blanks with children's chewables, but even those were getting irritating as I still had remember to chew up five a day. They didn't taste terrible, but they were a bit chalky, and walking around with a pocketful of tiger- and bear-shaped pink pills was a bit odd for a grown up trying to be at least a little professional for eight hours a day.

The new vitamins finally arrived at the co-op, and I picked them up Saturday after the convention. They came in a set-up up that rather reminded me of milk delivery: a narrow box with three compartments and three bottles nestled comfortably within.

How do pregnant women get anything done? Aside from the stupidity and the exhaustion, all they ever seem to be doing in pictures is holding their bellies and gazing at them wistfully. I hope I don't get too much like that. It's bad enough that my ability to be functional has been so impeded by the aforementioned Stupid and Tired. I would rather not suffer the indignity of descending into cliche.

This stuff is "tropical flavored," and they even say you can mix it with your favorite drinks it's so delicious. Well, I would not go as far to say that I would order it at a bar, but it does taste pretty good, considering what it is. But I was not expecting something called "tropical" to be the color of lawn:
Being a fan of wheatgrass, this is not repellent to me because that stuff is an even more vibrant green and does rather taste a bit like lawn. This does not taste the way it looks. It is clear to me that pregnant people did not make up the marketing campaign because the term "Liquilicious" is revolting and gag-worthy.

I'll have to ignore it, though, because I have 90 ounces of this in the house now, and I am going to be drinking it aaaaaaaaaalll. Luckily, it's only a capful, once a day, and I think I can handle that.

No comments: