Friday, March 7, 2008

Spring? Please?

This is one lucky fetus. While I am chattering and shivering at the bus stop in the minus 4 air on the squeaky snow, McFetus is swimming in an environment carefully regulated for its comfort. I don't resent it, but I am envious. Perhaps this is why I have been taking so many baths; I am trying to duplicate the experience. In that respect, I am better off because I can read while I bathe. Plus, I can read. Then again, I also have to do things like go to work, wash dishes, and... and... ok, I can't really think of another unpleasant task because my life is pretty good.

It is cold right now, however, and it's disappointing. Things like this always seem to happen when you feel like you should be in the homestretch of a lengthy and uncomfortable endeavor: there's a set back or a delay, and it's all the more agonizing because you thought it was almost over. I reckon this is similar to how I will feel when September 14 rolls around, and I am still pregnant, one week after my due date. But that is six months away. Right now, it's March 7, it's negative 4 degrees outside, and it's disheartening.

It's also the end of week 14, such a short time into this experience. The whole thing is vaguely unreal. I know that it is happening and that it's in there, but because I have not felt it move, and I am not showing, it still feels like it is happening to me not in me. I guess its little hormones are ramping up; that means the prostate gland is developing if it's male, and the ovaries are moving from the abdomen into the pelvis if it's female. It's making meconium, and the roof of its mouth should be completely formed.

Next week, Skin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen the poet said "april is the cruelest month"--he should have included March! There is hope-- My little bulbs are just peeking up their tips-yea!!!!
grammasue