Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What's going on?

I think I need mashed potatoes, but that is not going to happen. We are in the middle of many things at work, and the budget part of it is going to make me loony. When I get frazzled, I tend to fall back on comfort foods, mashed potatoes and gravy being a favorite. But I have to remember that I have very little control over how this happens, and I am not going to die. No one is, in fact, going to die from a University budgeting process. I would hope that no one ever has. I have to divest myself of all the bits that are out of my control.

And I can't let this stuff get to me because I have so many other things to think about.... childbirth classes, birthing plan, whether or not to circumcise (no), whether or not to vaccinate (need more info... I am going to say Yes on that one, I believe), what things we need to have the day we come home with a baby (so, what we need to buy).... money... the house...

I am almost half way through this gig, and I need to start looking at all that.

You know how it is when you feel like you have ten thousand things going on and your brain can't stop and concentrate on just one at a time?

That would be me. Add in that my brain is not as organized as it normally is because of the fetus, and I am a little frayed at the edges. But ironically, I think that the fuzziness has been tempered with a strange calm, also because of the fetus. I am not running around, tearing my hair out or even appearing to be a mess. I don't actually FEEL like I am a mess. It's odd.

I think we have settled on the type of diapers and the system: these are not my mother's cloth diapers. They are quite nice, and there are many different kinds. With the upcoming new washing machine and dryer, things will be even better. I am the last stages of knitting up a diaper bag (my first felted project). I need to start going through the baby stuff in the basement and confirm what "big" things I already have, then start looking for the stuff I don't have (and also ask if I can keep them at other people's houses until there's a baby. I have a couple of books to read about childbirth, and I have a pretty good idea which hospital we will be at as there's a health plan choice of three. The only other thing I know is that, aside from any medical personnel--and me, Pete is the only one who gets to be in the room for the birth.

No comments: