Tuesday, September 9, 2008

cloth-ing

It's the mountain of clean diapers and clean flannel wipes, ready to go. Finn is a cloth diaper baby, and I don't know how he feels about it, but I am loving it. I had no choice in the hospital--he was in Pampers for two and a half months, and it made me crazy. It was just one more thing that was entirely out of our control, and we were reminded of it every three hours when his cares rolled around. It took us a few days to get into a system here at home with the cloth, but once we did, it's been pretty smooth sailing.

We're using prefolds and covers, and I am washing a diaper load about once every two days or so. I have learned to start that load before I only have two diapers left because you have to run two wash cycles and then a dry cycle. If you only have two diapers when you start, you will be scrambling, and baby (if he's Finn) will not be happy. The new washing machine and dryer have been fabulous.

This is what the preemie prefolds look like on, then covered (and hungry):

Once they are wet and off him, they go into the diaper pail which is, appropriately, a used kitty litter bin. The other nifty thing is the sprayer that is hooked up to the toilet. We spray poop right into the bowl. Though breast milk poop is more like a gourmet sandwich condiment both in color and consistency, so it's not quite as imperative that it all be rinsed out before the wash.

He just graduated into the newborn prefolds, and I don't think that the preemies will really work anymore. They are just too small. At 7 pounds, he's sized like a real baby. He's also out of most of his preemie clothes; they are going into a little bin. I'll figure out what we keep and what we take back to the NICU for them to use. The preemie prefolds will come in handy later as doublers.

The diapers arrive flat and hard, not looking like diapers at all. You have to wash them two or three times to prime them for use.

The newborn size:
I have also knitted him some covers. This is my favorite:

This is excitement these days. New diapers and new appliances.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

7lbs already??? Holy Canoly!!! Go Finn!

And loving the cloth diapers. And I'm totally jealous over your toilet sprayer! Wish I would have had one of those when my kiddos were in diapers. :)

Criosa said...

oh, I love the soaker!

7 lbs? yay Finn!

meg and greg said...

Ok, give on the info of the sprayer! Where did you get it and how difficult was it to install? How many times did I wish for one of those as I "diddled" diapers in the icy, Kansas toilet water in Jan? I would so order one with the info. And the clips you have are really cool. But, at this point, I'm really good with the pins and we'd be sunk if we couldn't use the pins to hold up hems, close blouses, etc...And good work on the covers. They are beautifully done--in kitchener!

susan smith said...

That diaper cover really is beautiful--appropriate for a beautiful boy! Finn is a lucky boy too with such a talented mommy. Oh yes and daddy and his talent--how much more can a baby ask for? How about a cool antique-selling Granny? You got it! Anything else you want Finn--let me know!