Saturday, September 13, 2008

Dad is Awesome. The garments say so.

So far, we have received four garments extolling the virtues of Dad. "I love my daddy," "My Dad Rocks," "Daddy Rocks," and "Daddy's Little Cowboy" or some such nonsense.




hello?

Are dads so threatened by the relationship with the boob that they need reinforcement through fashion? I don't require tiny tee shirts for my boy that say "Mommy is awesome " or "Mommy's Little Prince" (blech) or "Mommy is feeling insecure about her role in this new family, so please prop her up with flannel niceties." No one is buying Finn onesies that say "Mommy carried me for six months, gave birth prematurely, agonized through ten weeks of hospital care, and is now a human dairy, and all I got was this lousy onesie."

But Dad?

Daddy rocks...

...while mommy stays at home and nurses, changes, bounces, rocks, swaddles, comforts, reads to, and generally entertains the offspring wearing the bitchin' "Daddy's Little Cowboy" sleeper.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's because he's a boy. Girl baby clothes get the "Mommy's little princess" or what have you.

Because the clothing industry is sexist like that.

Anonymous said...

I happen to like this one on the twosie,"Without you Dad, I'd be a girl!"

Anonymous said...

Just another way to care for those men with "fragile male ego syndrome" ....Delaney does have a shirt that says my dad rocks...I say to the man I married "be careful what you ask for, you can be replaced by a drummer"!! Now in Finn's case this same "My Dad Rocks" tshirt would just be shameless advertising, not meant to cause any division of the amount of love a child has for their parents! I think it would be a good way for Pete to pick up some gigs to pay for all the things Finn needs...

All the best,

E

susan smith said...

Well, I almost bought a baby T-shirt the other day--it said "Help! Mom's having a bad day-call 1-800-GRANDMA" It was a Brooklyn T-shirt no less. What is the world coming to (hopefully not Palin-McCain)!

Anonymous said...

I love this blog entry!

The next irony will be when Finn says Daddy before Mommy --- It's all a bit puzzling... As I recall, Mumma didn't become part of the vocabulary until well after Papa, Peedo, and Jack (the dog).

Soon enough, Finn will let evryone know just much you mean to him; when he scans the room and starts to cry every time you're out of sight!

'Hope you're feeling better.
Best, Christa

Anonymous said...

how 'bout a tee that says simply..."oh shit!"

or..."does this shirt make me look fat?"

maybe..."i'm really a girl trapped in a boy's body"

or...the ever popular..."if u think i look gay in this...you should see me in a dress"

hey...i'm just say'n...a market that hasn't been tapped yet...that's all :)

Mattress~

Sheila said...

My favorite onesie of all time read: "My IQ is larger than my president's."

The child wore it in 2004.

The sad thing is it was true.