Thursday, September 25, 2008

I was already relatively quick at accomplishing tasks, but you learn how to speed things up even more when you have a new baby at home. During the short amount of time that he consents to nap in his basket--this time from about 10 until now--I have gotten his laundry together, gotten dressed and washed my face/put my contacts in, set my Mother's Milk tea to steeping, and wrote this. I put a few things away and bused some dishes from the livingroom. That has to be enough. Later, I hope to actually start the laundry, brush my hair and make myself presentable, eat something, and write the ten other things that are rattling around in my queue and in my mind, as well as block a sweater. The writing and the blocking are rather tall orders. The things that always have to come first are the things that he needs or that need to be done for him, whether he knows it or not. I have the back seat to my baby; it's just the way it is. The way it is for all mothers. You're a mom first, and it can be really hard to accept, especially for independent feminists who are used to being highly functional. You have to rewire your idea of functional, reset your inner clock, and change your expectations.

And balance the checkbook later.

No comments: