Thursday, September 11, 2008

poor lefty

Reporting from the Office of Oversharing, Too Much Information Department:

Two nights ago, Lefty started hurting. It hurt so much, I could not hold Finn on my chest on the left, which I discovered was the side I favored. It was 5:00 a.m., and I was half asleep. I thought it was just a bit engorged, and maybe I should pump. I pumped. It did not help. When I got up later, I pumped again. This during a marathon feeding period. The pain was not abating by yesterday afternoon, and I began to suspect an infection. The sore area was red and hot to the touch. I was not running fever, but I don't think I am prone to them. When I had that urinary tract infection, my temp never went above 97.9. It was 97.7 last night and 97.5 this afternoon. I went to the lactation consultant today, and she confirmed what I already knew: mastitis. Which is just a fancy word for a boob infection.

What the hell?

Hormones, that's what the hell, if you ask me.

I have not had any sort of infection since I went off birth control pills way back in the 90's, when I had chronic yeast infections. They went away with the cessation of the medication. (So did the crazy, but that's another story.) Since Finn's birth, I have had two sparkly brand new infections, both in my naughty bits. I am sure that the medical community would tell me I am insane, but I think that elevated hormone levels make my body react differently to the presence of bacteria. Because the thing is, Finn has not missed feedings; he's been eating all the time. I have not been wearing underwire bras, and I have not since the girls got too big for their britches. I don't have anemia, and I don't feel abnormally stressed or fatigued (given the circumstances). So there does not seem to be a "reason why this happened." Nothing is really different, nothing that would indicate the cause of an infection. It was the same with the UTI.

Maybe elevated hormone levels make my brain come up with weird biological conspiracy theories.

Whichever way, Mama is back on the Sulfa. Ten days, four times a day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mastitis is not necessarilly an infection. Depends on circumstances but only a tiny fraction is caused by infections.

Hormones do have some influence.. in theory estrogen - like every steroid - would slightly suppress the immune system. But most of the time breast engorgment is caused by blocked milk ducts which may aquiire a secondary infection.

Anonymous said...

hey karen this is my thing sadly enough. I had recurrent mastitis MULTIPLE times!!! I kinda just gritted my teeth (and cried) and dealt with it. The other fabulous thing ever is A.P.N.O. All Purpose Nipple Ointment...helpful on so many levels!! Warm compresses and taking your finger and slowly pushing down towad the nipple on the red area almost like you were trying to get the toothpase out. I know ouh, And do not favor the other side!! If anything let him stay on the sore side longer! I am sorry this has been aded to your plate! Oh and I LOVE his diaper covers!!! Kitchener Goddess!!!! Whoooooo hoooooo

Anonymous said...

try adding lecithin (pills or flakes)to your diet.