Monday, January 5, 2009

Follow the Yarn

A few of my favorite things....
As you may remember, one of my resolutions is never to have more than three projects on the needles at once. As, for the foreseeable future, one of them will be a laceweight shawl, that leaves me space for two projects in progress at any given time. Since I posted that resolution, I finished a hat, two scarves, three pairs of slippers, a needle case, and a cardigan. Not bad, eh? I decided to see what would happen to me if I only worked on one project.... scaaaary...

January 4, 2009: This is an experiment in working on only one project until it is done. We'll see if I survive.
I bought three skeins of this yarn back when Finn was still in the hospital, intending to make a leetle blankie for him. But I kept finding relevant skeins, so it became a larger project. Only recently did it coalesce around a pattern.

For this project, I am more interested in showing off the yarn than creating an optical illusion, but the pattern still seemed the most interesting after perusing the archives. I was going to go in the same color order through the whole blankie, but now I think I will mix them up.

I wound all 8 skeins of malabrigo, which consumed quite a bit of time. This was my first time casting on a small amount of stitches and working from the center in the round, and it's a bit cumbersome, but once I got the hang of it, it worked out just fine. I did a few rounds following the pattern (garter stitch) and did not like the result. I don't like garter stitch: it looks like it's inside out.
So, after contemplating the hot mess that was on the needles, I decided to start over and do it stockinette. I am much happier with the results so far.

On the first day, she wound 8 balls of yarn and cast on twice. She finished 26 rounds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, the stockinette shows off the yarn better.