Saturday, January 3, 2009

In the car, I debated what I was going to say when I walked in the door, kind of a rehearsal for a homecoming. I had only gone to the co-op, a friend's house to feed her cat, and the yarn store, but in any case, it's good to know how to handle an entrance. Was it going to be "Well, the snow they were predicting has decided to fall as rain," or "It's 25 degrees and raining, and you know what that means." The first, depending upon the inflection used, could be taken as a sardonic indictment of the entire meteorological profession, and the second an affirmation of the craft of the game show host.

But as it happened, when I arrived home, the squirrels had dragged the bag of corn husks onto the steps, so I moved it, and when I opened the door, there was Pete, sitting with Finn in the soft Christmas lights of the livingroom, and instead, I talked to my son to get his attention, completely forgetting about the weather.

1 comment:

dorkchic said...

Ohmygod, what color did you get to be able to do the blanket?! *pant pant*