Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Nurse Questions

Is this a good thing?
What was the date you took the test?
What was the first day of your last period?
Your due date September 7.
You are 4.5 weeks along (from conception).
Any abdominal pain longer than three hours?
Any instance of red or pink spotting?
PID?
Surgery on fallopian tubes?
Abnormal fallopian tubes?
Any OTC's?
Thyroid problems or medication?
Asthma medication?
Diabetes medication?
Acne medication medication?
Tetra/doxycycline?
Antibiotics?
Birth control pills?
Depression medication?
Epilepsy medication
Blood pressure medication?
Do you smoke?
Any alcohol?
Recreational drug?
Chicken Pox?
Are you taking prenatal vitamins?
Do you have any cats?
Do you know why I asked that?
The direct line OB/GYN nurses: 651-254-3500 option 2, option 1
M-F 8-4:30
After hours "baby line": 612-333-2229 (BABY)
We'll get you in for a 20 min appointment where you will take an extensive questionnaire. Pat will schedule it.

I finally got this appointment making taken care of, and I managed not to cry. I think those were all the questions that she asked me, and I am still at a loss as to why this all had to be done before they would even schedule the appointment. As it turns out, the first appointment available with a nurse midwife is February 25th, and I will be over 12 weeks.

I managed this by bringing in my laptop, finding a place outside the office with wireless, hoping no one would overhear me, loading my calendars, and calling. I answered all the above questions, many of which I could have cut short by saying "I am not currently taking any medications for any chronic conditions. I have no chronic conditions." They have my chart, anyway. She then transferred me to the appointment lady, and I got her voicemail. She called back while I was in a meeting. I called back again, had to explain again that I had already talked to the nurse. She scheduled the appointment on the 25th, then said she wanted to talk to a nurse about getting me in earlier for a shorter appointment and also getting me an appointment for screening. She transferred me to the nurse, who had no idea why I was there, neither did I. I tried to explain it, and somehow, I had a February 4 appointment with my chosen nurse midwife.

This part has not been enjoyable.

No comments: