Monday, January 21, 2008

Part of cat, out of bag

Yesterday, I spent almost the entire day with the family, and I did not tell them.

This morning, I got into bed and poutily told Pete that I wanted to tell my mom. Unfairly, I expected him to argue, but he was his wonderful self and agreed. I had not anticipated telling everyone at my brother's house, but I figured I would see if there was an opening to tell the parents.

At one point, my father brought up the August family trip to the Boundary Waters, a place I have never been, with my Aunt Connie and Uncle Mike, two of my favorite people. This trip had been a sore spot for me because Pete and I were not included in the planning, and there is only room for nine: Mom, Dad, Connie, Mike, Jim, Ruth, Ashley, and Ryan... and... Me? Without Pete? That's no fun. He makes me look good, and I would not enjoy myself if he were not along.

But this new development pretty much sealed that deal. I will not be trudging through the Boundary Waters, portaging canoes and sleeping on the ground, on August 9th. We will try to make the family retreat at the Caribou Hideaway House (no joke) on the 13th as long as we get a good bed. I think I will deserve that.

All this to say, that it would have been a perfect moment for me to mention, "Yeah, I don't think I will be able to fill that last slot because I will count as two by then." But I had not cleared telling the whole group with Pete, so I didn't say anything.

When Pete went out to the livingroom to tune his mandolin, I followed him, and he asked "Do you want to tell everyone?" He's so good... but there was never another conversational opportunity, which I seem to need. When we were leaving, Pete hugged me and "whispered" "Do you want to tell them?"

"It's a little late," I said.
I mean, that's a conversation, not an announcement.
"I'm pregnant! Gotta go!"

The next morning, I wound up being free for lunch, so I sent Dad a text message, and we arranged for them to pick us up so we could go downtown and meet my brother, Jim. I figured I would have to find a way to bring it up. Pete asked if I wanted an agreement like "if you have not told them after 30 minutes, I'll do it for you," but I declined.

Sitting here now, I don't remember what I said. Maybe my mom can remind me because she was expecting it because she already knew. She was happy that I had written to make a lunch date because she was dying to find out for sure. Now she is just dying for permission to tell her friends, which I can understand. We are still waiting on that one until we have more information.

I feel better now, and it will be good to have my mom to talk to. She's a nurse, and she's also done this before.

No comments: