Friday, August 22, 2008

38-12


Finn is three months old and two weeks away from being born. He's an interesting hybrid of a newborn and an infant. I often forget that he's a preemie because we just brought him home from the hospital, just like a normal couple would. After two and a half months.

Today, we had our follow-up appointment with Mary Jane, the lactation consultant. I was convinced that he would not have gained enough weight, and we would have to supplement him with yucky formula; I was resigned to it. I felt like he had been sleeping a lot and not eating enough.

Imagine my surprise when we discovered that he had gained 2.7 ounces in 2.25 days. As they are looking for an ounce a day, we are out of the green poopy woods, at least for awhile.

At 38 weeks, if he were inside, he would weigh about 6 pounds, 13 ounces, so at 6 pounds, 2.7 ounces, I am pretty pleased with his progress. He would also be 14 inches long. At 18.5 inches (possibly more), I guess he's a long baby. He was 14 inches at birth, four pounds ago.

I should probably skip ahead to the "newborn" section of The Book; I just noticed that they also have a premature baby section. I wonder what it can teach me...

No comments: