Wednesday, August 6, 2008

wow.

This morning after his feeding and before his eye exam, Finn's big-eyed, perky nurse practitioner said that he could be coming home "by or before the weekend." I am not sure what the difference is between "by" and "before," but in my book, they are the same. I guess if he passes his carseat evaluation tomorrow morning and continues eating on his own, they are shipping him home. While most people would say "How wonderful!" it is a cause for many mixed emotions in us. We were prepared to bring him home at the end of the month. Physically speaking, we could bring him home now. Meaning, we have almost all the "stuff" we need. Emotionally, it's scary to think about bringing him home. Logistically, when it comes to work situations, there's no way we are ready to leave work. Pete won't be able to; I will have to, but I am not sure how...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wowowowowowow!!! Congrats and huge hugs. I'm sure you will all settle in quickly.

Can't wait to see home pictures of the cutie.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Karen - With regard to how you can leave work at this time. Please tell officials at UMINN that GPMCC has just now telephoned his dear friend EXGOV and soon to be candidate for Congress J. Ventura who has informed me that you will be dismissed ASAP or they will be BEAT! Power to the Children and stay-at-home MOMS!

Anonymous said...

Oy. You are truly getting the full dose of Life With New Baby. By that I refer to craploads of stress from a few well-placed (I'm no longer convinced they are always well-meaning) medical professionals. One nurse stressed us out so much that I wanted to turn my back on 36 years of pacifism and punch her in the nose. Hard.

I'm also referring to not being ready yet when New Baby comes home. I had set a date to really start getting ready for Baby, several weeks before she was due. But then I was put on bedrest very unexpectedly 3 days before that magic date. So I had to abruptly stop work, give up on house cleaning and all prep, and lay on my left side all day for a few weeks (which is way freaking harder than it sounds).

The good news was James brought me breakfast in bed each morning.

Our baby was born at 37 weeks and weighed 5 pounds 4 ounces when we brought her home. So Finn, at his current not-even-home-yet weight, would have kicked Azalea's butt in a cage fight. Although I'd prefer to keep the cage fighting between the nurses and lactation consultants.

Too bad they don't have doulas specifically for parents of preemies still in the hospital. Our doula helped us through the hospital phase of having our baby by helping us stand up for what we wanted and requesting time to answer questions and make choices. There's a list of questions (with a BRAIN acronym) she helped us ask whenever we needed to make a decision about a "suggestion" being made: Benefits, Risks, Alternatives, [something starting w/ I], and "what if we do Nothing?" That was pretty helpful in helping us stand up for ourselves and our baby.

By the way, Finn is so dang CUTE! I'm looking forward to meeting him.