Friday, August 15, 2008

please don't eat the...


If your baby is fussy, it could be your diet.
Remember being pregnant, and all the stuff you could not do? Well, it's back! Except it's worse.

Finn's not really fussy. He's gassy and farty, and he fusses sometimes, but he's not what I would call a "fussy baby." Just in case, though, I was wondering what I could change in my diet to help him out. Not much, just a few things, like chocolate, cinnamon, chiles, garlic, curry, citrus and pineapple, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage, bell peppers, cucumbers, kiwi, strawberries, cheese, milk, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, ice cream, the will to live, tomatoes, eggs, peanuts, peanut butter, corn, wheat, soy, apples, and bananas.

I think it might be easier and shorter to list all the things you can eat.

That's me, over in the corner, weighing nine pounds and eating oatmeal and meat.

I suppose it's good news for the carnivores; the meat feast is ON! But it's summer. It's harvest time in the northland, and our CSA keeps delivering the most lovely boxes of veggies. Of course, we have not been home all summer, and I forget to eat, so we're making a lot of super lovely compost, but now that I am home, I'm eating those veggies, fussy baby or not. It's either that, or the baby will be looking mighty tasty.

I figure I am damned if I do, damned if I don't. If he's fussy, we're all sad. If I am starved and deprived of dairy, we're all sad.

5 comments:

dorkchic said...

Hey, as long as you can still drink wine. No? sheesh...

meg and greg said...

Alright people...who is "feeding" you this info. If I had to give up those foods, the Sanders' babies would have been on the bottle. Well, not really, but I'm just saying. It has been my experience that some of those cause gas, like broccoli, cabbage, milk (but not necessarily cheese or ice cream or yogurt), beans or sometimes foods that make me gassy. But, things like onions, garlic, squash, tomatoes, cukes, corn, etc...don't necessarily bother the baby. A good rule of thumb is, if it bothers you, watch to see if it bothers the baby. If so, eat in moderation, like not more than once a week. Also, if suspicious, keep a food diary, with what you ate that day and how the baby reacted. (We seem to have a problem with LOTS of chocolate, like at Easter, and LOTS of Orange juice--gives us sore bottoms.)
Beyond that, eat what you like, drink what you like, just use moderation and common sense.
And if you do have something that gives you a sensitive reaction, itchy mouth, hives, swollen tongue, etc... best to avoid it for a while, and slowly add it to your diet later.
BTW, have you heard about infant massage. Or even chiropratic for babies--lots of moms I know swear by it. Or draping the baby on your forearm with his head by your elbow and arms and legs dangling down, tummy on your forearm. Or our standby, Symethicone or Mylanta baby drops. (I wouldn't use the Gripe Water stuff--some have alcohol in it.)
OK I feel better. I have passed on all our standbys. Now all must have a glass of Guinness, or wine. Cheers! Elaine, any other thoughts?

susan smith said...

YEA--baby massage or chiro--sounds great for the wee ones! Lots of love from grammasue.

Anonymous said...

Good luck, you may find he grows into some of those things that irritate him now.

Also, has anyone talked to you about baby massage? It was seriously one of my most favorite parts of the Kid's babyhood. Oh, and she liked it too. :)

You do sound like things are going much better now that you are home.

meg and greg said...

I know I'm being a blog hog, but one more thought...could the gas be caused by switching sides too soon? Sometimes, the baby hasn't quite finished the hind milk in one breast and is getting too much foremilk. If he is gassy and has green frothy poops, this could be the case. If so, they recommend giving one side for several feedings. Then, go to the second side for several feedings. This allows baby to get more of the fatty hind milk.
Just a thought.(I'll be quiet now.)
Love, Meg