Wednesday, August 6, 2008

lactate this!

All the talk about giving him a bottle was starting to make me crazy. I wanted to talk to a lactation consultant before I gave my consent, but they are really busy, and it took until Tuesday for one of them to get to me. There are only two, and it turns out that the other is out right now, so that leaves only one for all the moms in ICC, NICU, and SCN.

She was great. Finn was asleep after a short burst of nursing, so she did not get to see him in action, but we talked about our situation. She said that he may need to use the nipple shield until around his due date; they get used to the pacifiers which, in a hospital setting, are a good thing for them, but no one has nipples that long and of that texture and consistency (hopefully). I am not sure how I go about weaning him off of the shield, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. She did not seem concerned about the bottle; he'll be coming home with a supplement in any case that will have to be given by bottle, so it's out of my control (another "choice" that is not really a choice). I'll just make sure to get him on the boob as often as possible both now and when we are at home. She also had me draw 3 cc's out of my pumping from each breast so she could test the fat content. Turns out, he's getting a lot of skim milk, so she recommends that I pump for two minutes on whatever breast he is going to use and then stick to that breast for the whole feeding so he can get some higher fat content "hind milk."

He's doing very well with eating, though. I think he likes it. Pete came to the hospital yesterday at 3 for his first bottle (and to bring me a car key because I had locked my keys conveniently inside the car so I would know exactly where they were). I won't be giving him bottles; I'll just be boob central so as not to confuse matters more. He did a good job with Pete, and he did a good job over night. It's part of why he seems to be on the pushy fast track to home. It took us about six minutes to get a good latch this morning, but I am not going to blame it on the bottle. I'll just be patient and work through any of those difficulties as they arise.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya, Karen (and clan)! Feel free to contact us if ever you need a sounding board... Amy and I had a LOT of difficulty getting baby Pete to nurse (latching, swallowing, overall process, etc), and we went through a fairly exhausting series of steps to get him to put on weight after delivery. We had a great Lactation consult, which makes all the difference in the world - glad to hear that yours is kind and patient - but we felt like we were the only ones in the world having any kind of issues. (I know this isn't true, but you still end up feeling this way...) Amy can at least commiserate with you about the quality time spent with "Old Pumpy" and the numerous other fun activities to be had with the "My Breast Friend" pillow.

We're still thinking of you guys all the time and are so glad to know that Finn's doing so well - love and good karma!!!

Anonymous said...

Well. Hmm.

I have one blanket and several other small objects that are for you / Finn. I was hoping to meet up with you once before he gets home from the hospital, but since he's apparently some sort of superstar preemie, we might not make it.

I don't want to inconvenience you AT ALL, you have enough on your plate. Would you rather wait until blanket #2 is finished, or would you like some A & AC love sooner rather than later?

email me at mostcurious at gmail dot com...

meg and greg said...

Dear Karen, Peter, and Finn, we are so gloriously happy that things are going so well. We keep praying for you all and hope it doesn't seem so fast as to be overwhelming.
Nursing a baby is an art so don't be afraid to ask for help... especially from a friendly L.C. If they are good, helping moms is what they live for. And again I recommend your local La Leche League, the hospital probably has the number. They can give such good info on babies (premie and full term) and latch and weaning from shields and all that stuff. And for no charge. (Some good things in life are free.)
Also, is there a support network through Children's or even your present location for premie parents? My sister-in-law is helping with the group at her "birthing" hospital so new parents can call experienced parents with questions or concerns about their wee one. As you know, not all questions need to go though the doctor. Sometimes, just an experienced ear can help.
So, good growing Finn and good wishes Mom and Dad. We're "rooting" for you all and let us know if we can help in any way. Love from Kansas

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen and Pete,time to call the "outside lactation consultant" . I used Jewish family services (funny since she was the one who told me to drink the Guinness!!) and La leche. I know we all want the Lactation consultants to be on the same page, but the one that works at the hospital, really needs to agree with the hospital staff....to keep the peace.

We are all going to write a parenting book on the things we have been told because we were "new parents" and we certainly didn't know any better.

I will get into the cage match with both the nurse and the Lactation consultant..nd open a can of whoop a*s on both of em....there is a happy medium.. no really.....just get him to the nipple for as much as you can without frustrating him (without the nipple guard...seriously that just sounds dirty!)

We can't wait to meet him!! You are doing great!!

Love and kisses right from downtown Boston!!!

Ohhhh and I love the MY BREAST FRIEND PILLOW..I can send it if a want!

HUGS AND DOES FINN NEED AN OLDER SISTER....you can have Reagan She is sending me over the edge!

susan smith said...

Karen and Pete--left my comments on the first of the new pictures. I also had to use a shield at first with baby Pete because of soreness--but he got stronger after 1 1/2 weeks and I toughened up and no problem switching to no shield. He had some bottles with watered down organic juice but still preferred the breast so not to worry--you and he will do fine!

Anonymous said...

lactation...

hmmm...

"lac" coming from the greek word meaning "missing somethin"
(i think)

"tation" coming from...ummm...it's what you have left when you take the s outta the station

more...ummm...accurate knowledge

did you know :

The phenomenon of male lactation in humans has become more common in recent years due to the use of medications that stimulate a man's mammary glands. Though boys and men have nipples, many are unaware that they also have mammary glands.

In ordinary circumstances, there is so little mammary tissue that it is unnoticeable; if the male breasts develop visibly, the condition is called gynecomastia.

Under the appropriate hormonal stimulus—that nature provides to human females when they become pregnant and give birth—the mammary glands of human males can also produce milk. The volume of milk produced is low relative to that of a lactating female.

Newborn baby boys can occasionally produce milk because of the intense hormones involved in their mother's pregnancy and the hours of childbirth...this is called witch's milk.

Male lactation is most commonly caused by hormonal treatments given to men suffering from prostate cancer.

Male-to-female transsexuals may also produce milk owing to the hormones they take to reshape their bodies. It can occasionally be a side-effect of antipsychotic medication.

Extreme stress combined with demanding physical activity and a shortage of food has also been known to cause male lactation.

The phenomenon of male lactation occurs in some non-human species, notably the Dayak fruit bat.

so looks like Pete might need to borrow the squeegie shield when ya want a break...i'm just say'n :)

Mattress~

meg and greg said...

Well? We are eager to know if all three are at home this weekend!

PS I'm not sure if this is improper blog etiquette but, Hi Aunt Susan!

Love, Meg Sanders