Thursday, August 21, 2008

poly-vomit-sol

Who knows what's normal? I know I don't, even when it comes to regular life. Throw a baby into the mix, and you got me. I am probably like every other new parent: obsessing over every little thing. For instance, he seems to be sleeping a lot and not eating so much the last few days. If he were a grown up, I would think that he was recovering from a stressful experience and that he is now finally able to relax. I guess you could assign the same characteristics to a wee babe, but I don't know. They say he's supposed to eat, eat, eat/gain, gain gain--about an ounce a day, and he fed like a pro for the lactation consultant, but since then, he's been very fussy at the boob. He'll take a bottle, but he just does not seem to be very hungry.

This morning, he latched on and ate nicely with no fussing and no arching. Then we gave him his Poly-vi-sol. And he puked. And puked. And puked. How am I supposed to pack the ounces on this baby when the supplement they want me to give him completely undermines the work of the previous hour? I understand that he needs iron for brain development, and I don't want to short change him, but it's a balancing act between caloric intake and supplement.

It's one of those times that I find it helpful to fall back on a cliche and say "They can put a man on the moon, but they can't make a more palatable and digestible iron supplement for children?!" I don't get it. I mean, it's not that I don't enjoy my baby smelling like a rusty bucket and watching him retch and gag and then puke up something that puts me in mind of bubotuber pus, but I did rather prefer it when he smelled pleasantly of pumpkins and was dealing with his normal amount of uncomfortable reflux.

3 comments:

meg and greg said...

Ok, I couldn't stand it any longer.
Yes, Mrs. Yackity-yack is back spilling yet more info regarding children, babies, feeding, diapering, etc...
Please accept my offering of info and thoughts with the spirit of love in which they are offered.
If Finn seems to have problems with iron/vitamin drops(which my first one did also and we never tried it again), maybe the doctor could do a blood test? Yes, one more stick but, whereby Finn is solely breast fed, then his iron should be pretty good. I know Finn is premie, and drs like to supplement them with vitamins, but maybe he's getting enough breast milk that the drops are unnecessary.
I know for full term babies, drops are unnecessary for six months or even longer depending on which solids baby is taking at that point.
If the drs balk at this, there is plenty of info at sites such as AAP, LLL, Textbook of Pediatrics, etc...
BTW, the cousins loved the surprize at the end!

Anonymous said...

Good luck, that's all.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Karen, Just breast feed the child, as mothers have been doing since God was an infant, and worry about the supplements when Finn can sing the Sesame Street song and Flintstone vitamins are his favorit treat for sitting nicely on the potty!