Thursday, August 28, 2008

Someone's in the Kitchener

It was either really brave or really stupid, but I just raced the baby on kitchener stitch. No, we were not going needles to needles, he's napping, and I had a graft to accomplish. It's only the second time I have done one, and when I got to the point in the recipe where it told me to kitchener, I remember thinking "No, it's not the thing I am thinking of. It's something else. Something that confuses me less" knowing full well that I was in what is called "denial," and it was the exact same confusing thing.

I understand kitchener, in the abstract. It makes sense, and I can see what is going on, it's just that I get lost. "As if to knit, drop; as if to purl, leave; as if to purl, drop; as if to knit, leave." Once I get into a rhythm, I am fine, but then if I start thinking about the rhythm, like "Hey, I am into a rhythm," I get lost again. I was even thinking, as I stitched "as if to knit, drop..." that maybe I had the hang of this, then I thought "No, you will never remember how to do this; you will always need to get out the book," and then "Wait... did I already 'as if to knit' this?" All while thinking "oh, he's grunting... is that awake or still asleep grunting... just one more minute..."

I suppose there are some geniuses out there who can hold a conversation and kitchener. I am fine with saying that I will never be one of them. For now, I am pretty impressed that I got this:
and I still have this:Ah, how we must realign our perceptions of true accomplishment once we reproduce.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just did my first Kitchener the other day, and that's exactly the book I got out to do it.

Anonymous said...

I shall never, ever be able to do the kitchener stitch with any background noise or distraction. I feel like it's a mensa test of your intelligence!