Thursday, February 21, 2008

Test Results

Screen negative

Down Syndrome: 1-470
Age: 1-89
Cut-off: 1-220

Trisomy 18: 1-10,000
Age only: 1-310
Cut-off: 1-100

83% accurate. No further testing indicated.

Well, at least, not for now. Between weeks 15-18, I can have a blood test looking for spina bifida and encephaly, which I am sure I will do. Don't want to miss any chances to have blood taken out of my arm.

A translation of the above numbers is that the chance of this fetus having Down Syndrome is 1-470. If you were to calculate the chance based on my age alone (old, old, old), that number would be 1-89, but the tests at the ultrasound brought that number up well above the cut-off of 1-220. Any number below the cut-off would require continuing for CVS testing, which is invasive. Same goes for the Trisomy 18 numbers. It's good news, and tomorrow is the end of my first trimester, so we can tell everyone now. Pete gets to make his phone calls after work.

I'm happy that we can spread The News now. And I am braced for the attention it will bring.

I hope he doesn't try to put me on the phone...

No comments: