Friday, May 2, 2008

"Carrie likes a jaaazzzzzz man..."

I can't help it. That quote from an episode of Sex and the City keeps running through my head. In it, Carrie and Big are friends, and they go out to a jazz club together. Carrie winds up hooking up with the bass player/owner of the club. Big razzes her with that taunt.

I am not constantly referring my life to television shows.

It's probably only once a day, really.

And it's just two shows.

Maybe three.

But anyway. Last night we went to a jazz club for a coworker's birthday--Squirmy's first jazz experience, but probably not its last (that won't be my choice). I put on a dress and got to show off my husband to colleagues who had not yet met him. It was a nice break, sort of a grown up outing, but not in a stodgy way.

The fetus now weighs about one pound, according to the book, and it's throwing its weight around. Sometimes, I think that if it tried just a little harder, the punches and kicks might actually hurt. As it is, they don't really, but they can be quite... insistent. It still has plenty of room in there, and it's using it. A lot. Usually during meetings or times when I am trying to concentrate. The squirmy little alien gets going like a strong-kicking free-style swimmer.

I still feel like this experience is going by very quickly, too quickly, though I am sure it will slow down about August. Today, I was looking at labor room and delivery issues in one of my books, and I put together the list of classes we want to take at the hospital we will use. I figure we should register for those now before time slips away, it's July, and we can't get in. I may look into some alternative classes regarding childbirth as well, but it's probably a good idea to see what the hospital thinks it's all about, as that's where we will be.

The list is:
6-week (once per week) Childbirth Class
Breastfeeding
New Baby
Infant CPR

We can also sign up for a free tour at the end of May. They include one in the Childbirth Class, but I would like to check it out beforehand, just so I know what's up.

What's up inside is that Squirmy is getting taste buds so it can really experience that yummy amniotic fluid, and its brain and nerve endings sense touch. So it's in there sampling sugar-urine water and playing with whatever it can reach. At least it finally has something to do.

If Squirmy is a boy, see above "playing with whatever it can reach", and his testes have started to descend from his abdomen. Maybe they are already down; it's the end of the week, after all. If Squirmy is a girl, as almost everyone seems to think it is, her uterus and ovaries are in place — complete with a lifetime supply of eggs. She never needs to go to the store again, if all is well. Omelets for all!

No comments: