Saturday, May 10, 2008

zero population

In a meeting with colleagues yesterday, I remarked that my pregnancy is going by too fast, so far, and that I am trying to get whatever I can out of the experience because I "might not do this again." A co-worker, who has five kids, said, in an appalled voice, "You might not do this again?! You'd have an only child?! Why would you do that to a child?!"

I was stunned.

I have always believed in "replace yourselves and stop," and at 38, I am thinking that one might be enough. My husband is an only child, and he's not mental. I wanted to ask her about her grown daughter, who has just moved back in with them, but I held my tongue.

She then went on to talk about the neighbor girl, who is an only child, and who is also a loud little mess. She was attributing this to the fact that she is an only child, even though she continued the story with how messed up the parents are and how terrible their relationship is.

Hmmm.... methinks that they could have ten children, and they might all have issues.

No comments: