Thursday, May 8, 2008

"Oh fishy, fishy, fishy, fish..."

"... that went... wherever I... did goooooo...."

We're going to The Guthrie tonight to see "A Midsummer Night's Dream" with my parents, and Pete wants to go to a seafood restaurant beforehand. I asked him if it was perhaps a seafood and soft cheese restaurant, and he replied "Yes, a seafood and soft cheese restaurant with really good wine."

He's such a kidder.

You know, this would be an issue for me even if I were not pregnant because seafood is an ecologically sensitive product. Pregnancy just adds another level to the issue because of mercury and chemicals. I don't have my book with me that has the chart in it, so I am trolling the internet for advice.

It's silly, in some respects, and I certainly don't want to be hysterical, but overfishing and mercury are concerns of mine no matter what. The fact that I have an internal dependent just makes it more important. My little fishy is always there, flopping and swimming around. Neither of us need extra mercury, and the oceans need to be treated with a little more respect. As much respect as I afford my little internal ocean.

Pregnant women are not holy vessels or china dolls. Women have been having babies for as long as there have been women. I think it's just the surrounding environment that has become more perilous, and precautions have to be taken, many of which are just good for me anyway. I figure if it's recommended I avoid something, I might as well, even if it's just a CYA.

This is a good list, and I am printing one out right now that will go into my wallet. It's divided by regions, so you can have one for wherever you are and wherever you live. It's not specific to my present natural state, but I think I can remember enough to mentally cross check and find something tasty on the menu.

It's a good thing that there are not literary restrictions for pregnancy or I would be screwed.

No comments: