Saturday, May 3, 2008

Living Green(ly)?

Have you watched "Who Killed the Electric Car"?
You really should. Be prepared to be a teensy bit frustrated.

This weekend was the Living Green Expo; it happens every May, and I always go. I find that I am learning less and less, and that it is attracting more and more people. Don't get me wrong:it's a great event. I am only learning less and less because I have already tried to establish sustainable practices, and there's less to know. Now, we go to see who the new vendors are. This year, we were looking at building products and a few baby things. Last year, we were still choosing builders and architects for our remodel, and now we have moved on to thoughts of construction and financing. We're looking at countertops (paperstone), floors (bamboo and marmoleum), decking (recycled composite), and insulation (icynene), and we're begging for money.

One new thing at the show was the Zenn. It's a little electric car, approved in the USA for use only in town at speeds below 25 mph. I would love to replace my car with one of these for running around to the co-op and what not:

It's freaking adorable, and surprisingly roomy. Pete could even use it for gigs that are nearby. I love how it lists its (comparable) gas mileage at 245 mpg. It doesn't use gas, of course, but people want to know these things. It lists for about 17,500. We could plug it into our house; we buy 100% wind power.

My tolerance for crowds is already rather low, and this year, what with Squirmy in there, I was even less tolerant than usual. I knew what I wanted to see, and I didn't want to dawdle. It's no fun to dawdle in a sea of people. Pete's better at blocking things out than I am.

Being out in crowds makes you notice: there are a lot of babies and pregnant women around. I don't think it's just because I am pregnant that I am noticing this; there seems to be a mini baby boom going on. Again, I blame Angelina Jolie.

1 comment:

susan smith said...

Monday I had my annual Dr.s appointment--She carried on about the guy who improved the battery needed for the electric car and I finally said "oh, did you see Who Killed the Electric....... she went off!! As I went out the door, she said "Oh, all your tests are great!" So much for health care in Massachusetts--at least she's well informed and hope she knows as much about MY battery! Grammasue